I was at a conference last week when a common situation got me thinking: I have a
port wine birthmark (kind of resembles Alaska). I'm probably the only person who's been seeing a derm since the ripe old age of 6 mos. As you might believe, I'm totally used to people asking if I got burned, bruised, etc. However, I couldn't help but notice this woman with whom I was engrossed in a loooong conversation--about important professional topics--kept staring at my chest. Repeatedly. Is there no modesty in public curiousity? Is this any worse/better than if she were staring at me for having a large chest? Should I not care because it was a woman instead of a man?
6 comments:
I don't know... With these days of shrinking chests I'd be kind of happy someone was staring. ha ha You should feel blessed that you have the shape of the most beautiful state stamped on your chest. Now watching how toddlers learn, I see how much they learn through staring at people. Just the other day Adelyn was commenting on how the man in the magazine was covered with dirt, and needed a bath (African decent). You could always educate the starers.. or just be happy someone is staring at your perky breasts, they won't always be perky... he he
No, it is weird. I must admit, I never noticed that your birthmark resembles Alaska! I guess I don't stare at it enough ;)
No consolation, but kind of funny is the fact that I have a mole along my hairline that MY OWN GRANDMOTHER tried to pick off every summer for the first several years of my life because she thought it was a wood tick.
I think you have every right to be bothered by this woman's distracted behavior. Birth mark or none, she should show respect and speak to you.
First, I don't know what IMHO means, sorry. Second, the mole thing is FUNNY but I would have probably hit grandma.
That is just completely rude!!! That utterly unacceptable!
Yah, that's a tough one. I think you are the most tactful person when it comes to those type of things so if you ever feel the need to say something, know that you have always done it with grace and never insulting. That person obviously meant no harm and hopefully was only thinking and hoping you were okay. Sometimes people stare because they don't know what to say. I get it all the time with the kids, especially Cheyenne and Jazmin. People are curious and don't want to offend you but yet they don't know how to just ask so they stare. Sometimes it takes "us" to just inform them and then they usually tell a story of someone they know with that similar aliment. I have adopted your remark "you mean stupid" when someone says retarded and you wouldn't believe how dumbfounded they look sometimes but at least I'm educating and changing people's perspective of the use of that word. So a simple tactful explanation would put you both at ease.
Post a Comment