31 August 2009

Rummaging

My neighborhood advertised for a multi-block rummage sale, so I decided that would probably be enough traffic to warrant the effort of folding and unpacking items. Luckily I had started early enough the day before, hauling in tables in the rain and marking items. I've only done one other sale, and that was pretty much a bust. I had planned to open at 8:00, and sure enough, by 7:05 the vultures were already circling. I was prepared with hot tea, two layers and a winter hat. I think my garage was located in the vortex of the morning's wind. The funniest moment of the whole day was watching a woman (in shorts and a t-shirt, mind you), equipped with a fanny pack, running down the street in order to get the hot items before other customers.

3 comments:

Katherine said...

LOL!!!! Gotta love the bargain rummage shoppers!!!

Carrie said...

How'd it turn out? Make enough for a ticket to DC?

CARH said...

I love that image of the over-zealous rummager. My strangest rummage sale-related story was being introduced to a couple I didn't know at a party and having them say (not too kindly)"We've seen you around at sales. You like books don't you?". I found out later they sold books on ebay, so I must have unknowingly thwarted some of their book rummaging!