05 November 2007

I'm getting the fever

Liz & I both ordered these monogrammed stockings from Pottery Barn last week & mine arrived in the mail:

I know Thanksgiving's not even here yet, but I am getting excited for Christmas. Here are the reasons why I am excited to prepare for Christmas:
  • decorating--it's like breathing for me. Especially when everything is happy, shiny and smells good (the tree & candles)
  • listening to Christmas music. I know every artist in the world has their own Christmas album, but I never, ever get sick of listening to the music. Growing up my parents amassed a collection of probably 50 Christmas CDs. Part of our tradition of decorating & baking cookies was pulling out those CDs. Some of my favorites include:
  1. Nat King Cole
  2. John Denver "Christmas Like a Lullaby"
  3. Amy Grant
  4. Mariah Carey
  5. Manheim Steamroller
  6. Anything sold @ Hallmark
  • Making Christmas cookies. Last year I had 2 major baking sessions (the first time at my own house!) and our book club did a cookie swap. Yes, there is a reason why we make those rediculously messy & nitpicky cookies, like the mini mint cookies & the chocolate-dipped pretzels. Because they are Heaven on Earth and are the reason from Halloween until New Year's that I cannot give up refined sugar. Really, I was on a roll and then last week it all went to hell in a handbasket.
  • Watching friends & family open gifts. I know the holidays aren't supposed to be about presents, but I love making/finding a gift that is perfect for that particular person. Plus, people need to spoil themselves, & often it's easier for others to do it for them. Unfortuntately for any relative under the age of 10, that perfect gift must have a binding & contain words.
That being said, I know my desire to shop in a commercial sphere has dwindled. Corey, his mom & I went to the mall yesterday and it was CHAOS. Those people make me crazy. So, as I prepare for the upcoming holidays, I'll try to focus on what's positive & not the normal hustle & bustle that people often stress about.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

I LOVE Pottery Barn stockings. I ordered a kids one for Isaac last year. If/when we add to our family, I hope PB still makes them so everyone can match (type A!). Jessica M.

Krista said...

Those are so adorable!!!

Karla said...

Yeah, having the Halloween stuff and the Christmas stuff in the stores at the same time was getting me "in the mood" for Christmas. Now I finally can seriously start decoration shopping! Karla

Nichole Meyer said...

thanks for reminding me about those stockings...aren't they great?! I meant to order them last year and they sold out. Perfect, now I can get one for each of us!

amrolih said...

I think you've just put me in the mood. You can't forget the amazingness of pumpkin pies at Thanksgiving though!

CARH said...

feel free to send some of those said nitpicky Christmas cookies my way anytime. I promise never to give up refined sugar. Mmmmm Christmas!