15 June 2009

New garden




The pictures don't do it justice and cannot broadcast the pomp and circumstance that I was humming when it was completed, but this garden was a huge endeavor! I originally wanted to plant vegetables, but quickly realized that this section doesn't get enough direct sunlight (and the neighbor clued me in that the former owner had tried unsuccessfully) . The garden was already sectioned off, so I wanted to plant perennials. Hopefully they'll make it through the rough winters and be back next year. With a lot of referrals & advice from more experienced gardeners (thanks, Pam!), I've got: lavender, chives, parsley, Artemisia, 3 different kinds of Seedum, Russian sage, Bleeding Heart, Bee Balm. My mom, Krista & Nathan really helped me bring it home by laying the compost & mulch. It's looking rather sparse now; I think I need some more decorative items against the house.

5 comments:

Tiffany and Brian said...

Great work Carrie... Hope the herbs grow well. It is so much more work than what people know. Good choice on the mulch, so much better than rocks... and you can change your mind easier.

amrolih said...

The garden looks great Carrie! Nice work! You deserve to do a bit of celebrating after that undertaking!

Katherine said...

Nice job! Next year it will fill out and your bleeding heart will spread so beware, leave plenty of space around it. I love bleeding hearts, did you get a pink one or white one? I only wish that they stayed bloomed longer. They're kind of like tulips, they're beautiful for a very short time.
Enjoy watching it grow!

Jessica said...

love the garden! I know how much work that takes. Here's to beautiful plants and no weeds!

Kelly K said...

Is this the same weed bed you showed me last summer?! This looks amazing! And the great part of parenials, they get fuller as time goes on, so if you feel that it is sparse now, wait two years, and you will be thinking of thinning the herd, so to speak. Great plant selection too! You will be very happy with those. And the mulch is a great color with your house!