26 August 2008

Big mouth


So apparently I'm on a roll with random postings today, but I returned to work from a week's vacation, so I think the ranting spews come out a little easier. I went to a new orthodontist a few weeks ago because I noticed one of my bottom teeth had started to turn. My parents spent all that darn money on braces so I figured that a small investment on my part to keep them straight is no trouble. I got fitted for a new retainer (not to mention the myriad of choices they have now--it's like Starbucks--glow-in-the-dark, glitter, with pictures, your name). Of course the process of getting impressions is nasty enough (I have a terrible gag reflex) with them shoving this metal thing in your mouth with ooze running out, but both the hygenist and the ortho commented on how big my mouth was. "Wow, we had to use the biggest mouth form on you..." Thanks. Is that reserved for cattle or something? Now I guess the terms sticks literally and figuratively. I went back last week to pick it up and this thing's practically got its own zip code. Lots of wire and these massive hooks that wrap around my back teeth. Then I popped both in and he informs me that he wants me to wear them 24 hours a day. Meanwhile I cannot even construct an audible sentence. I went out in public that day and I felt like I was the geeky 12-year-old all over again! Sorry bud, but I'll save those sexy mouth decorations for night night time.

6 comments:

Karla said...

Carrie, sorry but I can't help but laugh. Maybe you & Ashley can share the terrible stories of retainer life...Sorry, I cannot relate but constantly am reminding her to wear hers!

amrolih said...

Ugh - back to life as a 12 year old! The plus side - you make me giggle!

Jessica said...

oh, the memories! pure torture I tell you! The real question is, how sore is your mouth? I remember getting denture cleaner to clean mine (nothin' like a 13 year old needing denture cleaner--but it does work really well!). um, and can we say SEXY?!

Krista said...

Oh that is so funny!!! Is that your actual retainer?! Man that thing looks pretty complex.
I don't think your mouth is that big!

Carrie said...

No, this isn't my real retainer, but it's amazing what you can find on Google images. Yes, the mouth is sore. Thanks for the denture cleaner tip! It's sexy.

Katherine said...

Oh Sweetie... I vowed never to have metal in my mouth after braces in college. I feel your pain, both physically and humorally (if that's even word) Anyways, Good luck with the toothless denture. :) Oh and the denture cleaner is the only thing that will keep that it smelling fresh...trust me I had retainers from age 9! Oh and for the record, they always have to use the pediatric size tray in my mouth! Just teazing ya babe!!! You're a trooper!