07 August 2008

The everlasting question

So I've been crusing some peripheral blogs and decided that maybe some of my posts need to be more useful/informative/open for feedback. I've always been intrigued by this but I wasn't sure how to pose it: How do you save money? What tricks have you learned? What strategies do you [and your spouse] exercise? What have you learned that you wish you would have known ages ago (i.e. it would have saved you trouble in the long run)? Is there software that you use, or just your checkbook? Inquiring minds want to know.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Greg and I started a mutual fund and a money market account. We put "permanent" savings into the mutual fund (like for our next house, kid's college, major purchases, etc.). We put "temporary" savings into the money market account because it is more easily accessed, but not connected to a checking account, so we couldn't "accidentally" spend it either. This is our emergency fund for medical bills, car repairs, house issues, etc. Each month, we add to both of them, not necessarily equally, but we try to build both simultaneously. We've done this for about a year and a half and it seems to work well for us!