09 October 2008

Out of touch with america's youth

So, a few days ago I was at Target trying to find a little nugget to send to my nieces for their birthdays. I have come to the conclusion that 1) I'm proabably not the "cool" aunt and perhaps haven't been for some time and 2) the reason I am not cool is I don't have a clue about the pulse of 3-12 year-olds. It's too young for gift cards, right? Because I completely get that once you're in junior high/high school you wouldn't be caught dead in anything that a relative over the age of 20 would buy you. So I'm in the checkout line at Target and I ask a young girl if she would like (insert gift) if she were 10. I think I totally freaked her out because I'm of course a stranger; if I had kids and some random lady started talking to them, I would be freaked out. She replied with a meek "I guess," which left me uncertain. Does your older-but-clueless auntie get a gold star because she meant well but had no clue, aka her heart was in the right place?

5 comments:

Kelly K said...

That is really funny. I completely understand. When we had to get Jon's niece a birthday gift, (This is several years ago) I thought it would be easy to get something "fun" from Target. Jon was very hesitant - apparently his family does not respond well to "surprise" presents. That is when I learned how completely disconnected I was with a high-schooler, not to mention the rules of the in-laws. I have done nothing to figure it out further. Now, if we have her name for Christmas - we shop off her wanted items list. It is pretty unexciting, no surprises, no thoughtful gifts. Oh well. Good luck to you - I have not figured it out yet.

Krista said...

I'm totally with you on this one! Of course its hard to know what their interests are when you don't get to spend much time with them except in concentrated chunks...

Tiffany and Brian said...

I'm with Sarah. I think fun girl stickers, journals, nailpolish, fun hairties, or just a box of crafty stuff like a little craft kit would be a fun gift. You could always go out on a limb and collect some Lake Superior polished glass and put it in a cool bottle for the girl to start her collection. It'd give you something to do together when she visits you. My cousins love it and it is peaceful/addicting.

amrolih said...

I give you credit for trying! My cousin is 12 and this past summer showed up with a bra and heels! I've never struggled with conversations with her and now I get the eye roll and hair flip when we chat! Good luck Carrie!

Karla said...

You did good, Carrie! Amanda loves the body art stuff, and you can't go wrong (right now) with a Dora gift for Abby! And not to forget the very fun waxy lips!