Wednesday was a verrrry long work day, which included visiting the U of MN Graduate School and the new Walker Art Museum. The Picasso exhibit was pretty unbelievable; I tend to get awestruck when I see works that have existed for so long and have permanantly impacted modern culture. But then I get kind of annoyed. The purpose of this exhibit was to demonstrate how Picasso impacted other artists. At what point is his influence flattering, and when are the newer artists just completing their version of paint-by-numbers? Cubism is amazing, but it's not my bag. And more times than not, museums in large metro areas produce several versions of the thin/elitist/quirky/pseudo-intelligent mid/late 30s employees, who assume that all visitors not wearing black must be from Hickville. I ran into the Bartas there, and they will be bringing home their little boy any day (positive thinking). Finally the last stop included Buca's, which I always love going to. I highly recommend the linguini frutti de mare. Beware of octopus, though; they tend to sneak it in there.
20 July 2007
City sights
Wednesday was a verrrry long work day, which included visiting the U of MN Graduate School and the new Walker Art Museum. The Picasso exhibit was pretty unbelievable; I tend to get awestruck when I see works that have existed for so long and have permanantly impacted modern culture. But then I get kind of annoyed. The purpose of this exhibit was to demonstrate how Picasso impacted other artists. At what point is his influence flattering, and when are the newer artists just completing their version of paint-by-numbers? Cubism is amazing, but it's not my bag. And more times than not, museums in large metro areas produce several versions of the thin/elitist/quirky/pseudo-intelligent mid/late 30s employees, who assume that all visitors not wearing black must be from Hickville. I ran into the Bartas there, and they will be bringing home their little boy any day (positive thinking). Finally the last stop included Buca's, which I always love going to. I highly recommend the linguini frutti de mare. Beware of octopus, though; they tend to sneak it in there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment