19 February 2008

Snow in the desert





I just returned for Tuscon where I had been for a conference. We were lucky enough to stay at the Biosphere2 and man, for not being a scientist, I was pretty amazed with the place! It kind of brought me back to being a kid again, where everything that surrounds you supplies a certain type of wonder and awe. It certainly didn't hurt that every morning when I woke up and looked out the window, there were mountains surrounding us. We stayed in little casitas which, during the academic year, are dormitories for students doing research in the Biosphere. I was struck by the desert and how vastly different the landscape is from what I'm used to. The southwest is just going in to their spring, which is really the only time of the year where they see rain. There were notes posted warning visitors to watch for the javelinas (wild pigs), deer, racoon-like animals, mice, and very rarely, the Gila monster. That was more than enough to keep me on the path to the parking lot.


Last Tuesday night we actually celebrated Valentine's due to my leaving early on Thursday. We went to Pizza Luce, which we've been known to frequent on the 14th, and then stopped at another watering hole for a glass of wine. We actually both made homemade cards this year which was great. Corey got a tie and some cheeky boxers (which I get him every Valentine's) and I got Obama's book The Audacity of Hope. I was really touched; I had mentioned the book a few weeks ago and was pleased he had remembered. I can't put it down. Thanks for the great Valentine's Day, babe. I heart you.

3 comments:

Kim said...

oh my gosh! that is so cool you stayed at the biosphere! you should have told us all about it last night... too bad we were busy, umm, talking about other 'issues'... i'll have to hear about it on monday. :)

Tiffany and Brian said...

Wow, Arizona looks beautiful. Glad you had a little retreat from the cold... Happy Valentines Day!!

Krista said...

Looks really cool out there. SO you managed to miss the local creatures?!