

Okay, I'm pretty sure that within the next few months, we'll be seriously looking to purchase a dog, not to mention the fact that I pour over this website everyday (Did you know your life expectancy increases by 7 years with a dog?) We live in a pro-dog neighborhood, we have a fenced in area in our backyard, and I think it's okay to have other living things besides houseplants. However's there's a lot to consider: are we home enough to care for this little pooch--training, obedience classes, poop, vet bills, etc...but we've also got to decide which breed we want. For those of you who know me well, you know that I have a very soft spot in my heart for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Pros: they are active, but don't require a ton of exercise; they are smart, and they like people in general; they don't shed too much; they are FRICKIN cute; they like to cuddle; they only get to about 15 lbs. Cons: they are FRICKIN expensive. Yellow laborador retrievers are my other absolute favorite dog. We always had medium-sized dogs growing up, so I've always been interested in bigger (nicer) dogs. Pros: they are super smart and obedient if trained correctly; I could run/jog with the dog; I would feel somewhat protected if I was home alone; they also like to cuddle; they are also great family dogs; Cons: they are big, even the runts--aka they take up a lot of space; they needs lots of exercise; they chew things a lot. Plus, in general, we're looking at two breeds that tend to be overbred. I'm not going to support puppy mills, so there's the very important aspect of treating animals humanely. This is a total ramble, but what are your suggestions? I am having major pangs just looking at all of these pictures of doggies.
7 comments:
I would go for the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I am a small dog person...so that would be my vote! They also tend to make me sneeze less! :)
You know me, I like my big dogs. When the kids are older we are getting a Bull Mastiff. That is me though!
Sounds like the same debate we're having at our house. But I have 2 younger children pulling at my heart-strings besides my husband. I am the practical one looking at the cost of everything, how much it sheds, and "what do we do with it if we leave town?". David grew up having big dogs and has always wanted a Golden Retriever. Good luck trying to decide. I'm not much help, huh?
I would just have a kid. At least their poop goes in diapers. Wait make that "sometimes their poop goes in diaper".
I'm a lab lover BUT each lab and most dogs in general need a lot of work. Some people get lucky and have laid back dogs that never dig, chew, lick, jump however most dogs are not like that. I would agree with Sarah on the adoption thing as well. The biggest thing is to read a book on learning dog dominance/behavior, picking a puppy etc. Picking a puppy is key!!! and providing most all training prior to 12 weeks is essential. So pick a time when you have time yourself.
I would totally go the shelter route as well. Over 1/3 of dogs in the shelters are pure bred dogs, if you must have one. Also, if you're really stuck on a particular breed, there are usually breed rescues specific to that breed (just google and I'm sure you'll find plenty). I agree that all dogs need work, but sometimes you get lucky with a shelter or foster dog a year or so old - sometimes they are already housebroken and know some basic commands.
I don't recommend huskies unless you plan on running after them everytime they jump the fence, And if you like to listen to howling on a daily basis. :) Turk and Rosie are great despite these down falls, but I agree with Sarah. It's good to have standards but when it comes down to it, finding the dog that finds you sometimes is the best fit.
Post a Comment