25 January 2009

January birthdays


My mom and my niece Ashley have birthdays this month. Usually my mom is hard to buy for because if the gift is too frivolous, she'll think she should take it back, and if it's too practical, you don't feel like you're spoiling someone enough, considering it's your mom and it's her birthday. I found this really cool family archive album that's pre-designed and has acid-free paper and plastic covers for pictures. My mom is really interested in tracing and documenting her family history, so I thought she would enjoy it. Corey & I had her and my dad over for some grilled pork, garlic mashed potatoes and my favorite flourless chocolate cake recipe (I sprinkle cocoa powder on the top).


Ashley, whom I remember as a cute little girl with curls, turned 16 this month and I'm still in disbelief. I chewed on that for quite a few days. I wanted to get her something special since you only turn 16 once, and I remembered seeing this jewelry line at a local boutique. The homemade spaghetti sauce was in abundance.

No comments: