29 August 2007

Taking a stand

For those of you who know my younger sister, you know that our family has been on an incredible journey--not just in the last few years, but basically, my mom's raising her is testiment to people trying to provide for those who society deems less important, marginalized. The current situation with her housing again proves that these problems are both persistent and cyclical. Of course one can never really be comfortable with the way in which things are. Something always tests that comfort and jeopardizes stability. I guess because I am the sibling and not the parent my inexperience makes me alarmed by and less accustomed to the system that often fails people with special needs. Perhaps my mother's--and all family members/providers of these groups--experience is one of more endurance; one with a belief that she can be rest assured that her daughter is being provided for, is safe, and happy. We are in the process of determining whether or not Katie will be moving because of the mismanagement of finances. Our hopes are that she and her "family" will be able to stay in the home where they currently reside . I am trying to write letters to local and state government to try and get them to listen to the stories of the families that these financial decisions effect. Please send your good energy--we need all the help we can get!

1 comment:

Janell said...

Let us all know what we can do to help. I'll send letters too if you need me to! :)