17 August 2007

Where nobody knows your name

Okay, I understand that in the karmic world if you make trouble, sometimes you get a little back. But my case stands tall: I have always liked my name. Six letters in my first name; six in my last. So when I was contemplating a name change, I thought I was lucky enough to have a "classic" last name that I could combine with another. It rolls off the tongue. Somehow that belief does not always transfer to the outside world. I completely understand that it is not the life's work of my friends and family to spell it, think about it, whatever. But when I deal with the customer service members of the world nobody gets it. I spend more time giving possible alternative names, spellings (including spaces), and I still get lost in the system. My hotel reservations are temporary lost. I am filed under T, K and all other letters in between. Apparently it's really hard to spell Kemp, also. Yesterday I was talking to our internet provider and he explained that nobody gets it because my last name isn't hyphenated. Oh. Okay, Mr. I Wouldn't Ever Consider Changing My Name. Believe me, if you keep it, I understand. If you change it, I understand. But gosh forbid I dare consider otherwise. Okay, this is a total whine fest that I've devoted too much time to.

4 comments:

LadyP said...

I like two names... don't you ever go changin'!

Tracy said...

I can relate. Larson-Udee is a tough one for everyone! Professionally and personally I am Larson, however my family life is Udee, hence, Larson-Udee. I was at Menards the other day and I was stuck with someone searching for my carpet order. We tried it all, and the worst part, the guy didn't even know what a hyphen was. The part that is the hardest is everyone expects me to explain myself as to why I chose to have my name as such. I'm with you Carrie, if you keep your name, great, if you change it, great too. The blessing is we all have the choice and the right to choose which way works best for us as an individual, and as a family. I just hadn't realized that I would run into so much trouble. The good news, I still wouldn't change it. I love being the girl who grew up with her dad's name and a professional woman who kept her name, as much as I love being a wife and mom with a new added name. A woman can have the best of both worlds regardless of how the world views her. I love being a woman, I love being a wife and mom, and I love having the freedom to be strong. Lastly, I love knowing all woman have the same rights as I do.

Janell said...

We all need a good whine fest every now and then. We're good at it, especially when you have those who are good listeners! :) And I love your name...don't ever change!

CARH said...

I also think it is hilarious that no one can spell Kemp. Do people not read or learn the alphabet anymore? I am not even a good speller & I can get that one :) My favorite is when I spell my last name to some one and say "R-A-U" and then there is silence. I now know that is my cue to say "that's all" and then who ever is writing or typing it will say "oh, ok I thought there was more"